Dental veneers are a wonderful option for patients needing chips, cracks, gaps or stains on their teeth corrected. The average lifespan of a porcelain veneer is approximately ten years, but can go as long as twenty years with proper care.
To make the most of your investment and help extend the life of your dental veneers, here are some tips you should follow:
- Maintain excellent daily oral care habits. Porcelain veneers should be brushed and flossed regularly the same as your natural teeth, using a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid chewing on hard objects that could damage your veneers. Mindlessly gnawing on pens, fingernails, or eating hard candy or ice can shorten the life of your restoration.
- If you grind your teeth in your sleep, ask your dentist to fit you with a protective night guard to defend your porcelain veneers.
- Wear a protective mouth guard when playing contact sports to safeguard your veneers from trauma.
- Even though porcelain is highly resistant to staining, avoid tobacco products since they cause teeth to stain or yellow.
- Be careful to limit snacks and sugary foods that can cause decay to the uncovered portion of your tooth.
- Keep a routine schedule of dental exams and professional cleanings to allow your dentist to check the function of your veneers and keep them healthy and clean.
Caring for dental veneers is basically as simple as caring for your natural teeth. By following these easy and useful guidelines, you can extend the life of your restorations and enjoy many years of healthy, beautiful smiles.
Our dental office is located in Clermont.